Sunday, November 1, 2009

There was a rabbit.




So, for the last week I've been in England, mostly London, but also took a side trip to Bath. In Bath, I saw a grown man chain up a rabbit, put it in a sack with weights, and toss it in the River Avon. We all counted to five.

It's okay, though, the rabbit escaped.

A picture of the rabbit's offspring shall be up eventually.



I also spent a few hours in Pisa prior to my flight to London, and it was nice. The tower was a bit smaller than expected though. Amon--my little Puki--was also not impressed.

Anyway, while in London I saw the original manuscript of Alice in Wonderland, as well as the original Jane Eyre. A Gutenberg bible, some of the other first books ever printed on a printing press, the Parthenon Marbles, the Rosetta Stone, Etruscan and Greek and Roman pottery, jewelry, etc. And loads of other culturally important things.

But of course, the most important thing is that I saw the original Alice in Wonderland. I mean, come on.



We also went to Stone Henge(It was awesome and the weather was gorgeous), which brings me to the surprise of our trip. We had the most beautiful weather the entire time. It's rained this last day, but it always seems to rain on travel days.



There were two ghost walks(one in London on Halloween and one in Bath the night before), a Jack the Ripper walk, and a visit to the Sherlock Holmes Museum and 221B Baker street. We drank water at the Roman baths in Bath and talked to a conservator who was repairing some of the original paving. On a side note, if you go to the Roman baths in Bath, please don't lean, kick, or pick at the walls. They have orignal Roman plaster on them and are very fragile!

I read a few books, Magic Study by Maria Snyder, the first three Darren Shan books, and one I really recommend for newbie writers, Some Writers Deserve to Starve. It's got great tips for making it in the publishing industry and I picked it up for only £2.99 (as it's usually £10.99 this was awesome). It has some great reference sites too.

Let's see, I also went to the movies a couple times as it was my birthday this past week and I needed to distract myself from feeling old. Went to see the Vampire's Assistant, I liked it overall as a popcorn flick with some interesting lines. I'd watch it to write to. (For those of you that don't know me well, I tend to write while watching movies. The background noise is good, and sometimes I tend to think of something when I'm watching that leads to a plot-point. I also listen to music sometimes.) We also saw The Fantastic Mr. Fox, which(as I've not read the book) I had no idea what to expect beyon Dahl's quirks. I liked it as well, I don't think I could write to it, but we'll see.

Up next I'll be reading Fire Study by Maria Snyder and the next Darren Shan trilogy. I'm working on my Post-Bacc degree in Art Conservation right now, which means I'm writing this insanely long thesis paper on the History of Restoration in regards to Gothic Bibles(yeah, that's my title), and I'm busy researching. If you have any research suggestions, feel free to poke me with them. I'm also doing a large scale test audience for Legion's Web, my work-in-progress novel for the last four/five years. This is my final polish up before I send it off to Immanion Press(a publishing company whose books I have to recommend you look up).

Anywho, I'll have pictures up to accompany all this eventually. Oh, and I'm now on fictionpress.com under the name HemlockKey, where a good deal of fun new stuff is posted. I've got a bit of something for everyone, but be warned, I don't write for younger audiences in general, so always check the rating and my Bio which will have relevant information regarding each story.

In any case, that's it for now. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment