Monday, May 24, 2010

Gail Carriger's Changless - A Review

So first off, I'd like to explain something. I first read Soulless because I'd read all my books, was bored and figured it would the nice thing to do as my roommate rarely recommends books to me.

I proceeded to read said book in a single sitting, in the dark, by the light of my I-Pod while stifling laughter so as not to waken my sleeping roommate. I was exhausted the next day, slept through a lecture but...damn, that was a good book.

Thusly impressed, I read it a second time--and a third.

So when I arrived back in the US after months in Italy, I waited impatiently for funds and access to a bookstore so I could purchase Changeless. Thus, once I had said funding, I purchased the book--and then put off reading it until a flight. I'm not a fan of flying, it doesn't appeal to me at all, so I wanted something fantastic to distract me.

This was indeed fantastic. A whirlwind combination of adventure, intrigue and emotion, Gail Carriger delivers vibrant characters and an intelligent story line full of well-timed sarcasm. The addition of Lord Maccon's old pack and his scathing grand-daughter Sidheag helped set the pace for the climax and Madame Lefoux was...simply delightful. The overall story was inspired, and the further expansion of the mythology of this alternate world's already rich mythology keeps it apart from similar works. The incorporation of Egypt was well done and in keeping with the historical period Miss Carriger is drawing from.

I love the careful focus on side characters like Lyall and Biffy, pushing relationships in new directions without devoting an over-abundance of time to them or losing track of the central story line. I am rooting for Lyall and Biffy, I really, really am. Although, I wouldn't want Akeldama to get hurt. I have a feeling that if he went maudlin his clothes might get less fantastic--and that would be a shame.

The ending, oh that ending. I was upset, angry and I was on a plane. And as I was on a plane, I had to keep my emotional responses to a minimum. I dislike people giving me funny looks. So I swallowed my urge to chuck the book (not because I didn't like it, but because it was the only way I could think of to injure a fictional character), and took deep breaths.

I've placed Blameless (book 3) on my wishlist and will pre-order it as soon as I can.

All in all, it was a damn fine read, took up most of my three and a half our plane ride (not an average reading time), and left me wanting more.

I give it five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment