Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Language Barrier -- Websites

So, in Italy, the blogger dash starts in Italian, until I sign in and then it's in English, now that I'm in Amsterdam, it's in Dutch. So is the Yahoo search engine.

Sure, one can change the settings back to English--if one can translate the instructions or has prior practice. You'd think the language preferences of your laptop would override the language jurisdiction of your web-provider. Especially when that web provider's own website isn't even in Dutch.

In any case, everyone here speaks English. I do mean everyone. They also all assume that I too can speak English.

It's a bit refreshing after being in Italy for so long. Another oddity, everyone at the airport thus far has thought that my bright red top hat (yes, I'm travelling in it because I don't want it flattened in my suitcase) is awesome. I'm also not getting half as many strange looks as I thought I'd get for having a winged teddy bear stuck through the handle of my backpack.

Oliver has gone everywhere with me. Except Dublin--but that was a logistics issue. He's my travel companion when Sophie isn't here, and thank god because it means I have someone to talk to (kidding...maybe). In any case, everyone here takes a look at me, takes in the black nail polish, dyed hair, silver jewelry and plaid converse with my starry black and purple scarf, the top hat and the teddy bear, and then they smile and compliment the hat.

Welcome to the Goth airport. Seriously, I've seen more goths, psuedo-goths, hippies, alts and etc since being here than I did my entire time in Italy. I also met a rather nice gay couple and a man with fantastical taste in glasses. They were awesome, I'll have to sketch them up and post it.

Meanwhile, it's raining here and sleep deprivation has given me a headache and the chills. I've not slept much over the last few days so this long stint isn't helping but I simply can't fall asleep without a cohort.

And that many windows at my back.

Ah well. I should be flying out of Europe and back to the states this afternoon--volcano not withstanding--so wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment