Thursday, April 8, 2010


This is the street of Little Love, near where I live.

Today we discuss frescoes. Before 5000 BC wall paintings were made mostly from tempera techniques. Like the cave paintings, using blood or oil or no binder at all.

The affresco technique started around 1500 BC, as well as the lime white technique which are similar to one another but not the same. The earliest of which are found on the Greek island of Crete.

Encaustic paintings came next and were used first in Roman murals, and then Graffito and finally oil on wall in around 1400 AD. The Roman murals no longer have any wax remaining on them. During the excavation of Pompeii it was hoped that traces of the wax would be found, but thus far they have not been.

What is graffito you ask? Well, I've done one and it can be viewed just to the left. Graffito is done with a black/dark/red/other color in the first layer of the intonicco (which is the mortar layer) which is then covered with a white wash of lime.

While the layers are still damp, a stick is used to remove the white and reveal the desired design.

In this case, a skull with the Latin VIXI, which means to Live.

In prehistoric cave paintings earth colors from clays and charcoal black were frequently used with a blood or milk binder. In the cave paintings that have lasted it is because of a natural carbonization which occurs because of the type of stone and the level of moisture in the wall.

The carbonization process is the process by which a fresco solidifies into a wall. The slaked lime (Calcium Hydroxide) which is used in the intonico and other mortar layers carbonizes when in contact with the CO2 in the air to become Calcium Carbonate (CaCo2). This makes the wall paintings very strong.

In the case of Egyptian frescoes, vegetable gum bound pigments were used on a gypsum base which is appropriate for the climate they are in. In a more humid environment this sort of wall painting would not last. The Egyptians produced the first artificial color, which is known as Egyptian Blue. The process itself is not known, but it is thought to have involved copper salts and sand.

By Medieval times this color is lost to time.

To the left is a traditionally execute fresco (by moi) in two sections over two weeks in bon fresco (affresco) and a secco work on top (egg tempera).

I've also done one in Lime White, but I don't have a photo of that one just yet. In any case, these techniques are still used today (by artists and professional fresco painters), though many modern artists do not use the proper technique.

I finally found a photo of one of my applet arts! Sophia ate this one, she promised me they were


delicious, which I believe seeing as they were all eaten. The little birds are cherry tarts with a candied cherry in the center. My theme for the food was "Things that Naturally Contain Cyanide", as I discussed cyanide in my chemical presentation.

I don't like cherries myself, but reliable sources promised me they were good.
The sun is out today, and the freesia in the garden is blooming (which I will photograph). I head home in a little over a week...wow. Waiting to hear on two agent submissions and a couple job offers. I dislike waiting intensely.

The opening of the Conservation Show (to show off to the school what we've been up to) is tonight. We went with a movie theme. I think it looks great actually. My poster is based on Tim Burton's early pencil drawings and is about my bookbinding DIS.

Before the show I'm going to have to take a nap though. Finals are next week, a pair of exams and my final thesis is due. I think it's going to be okay though. I've got the chunk of it done now and I'm fairly happy. One more draft and I'm all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment